Recipe: Wholesome Child's Choc Chia Pops
This healthy take on cake pops has become Mandy’s go-to for school birthday treats instead of cupcakes. Mandy says the kids love them and the teachers do too!
- 1 cup (160g) mixed seeds (pumpkin, sunflower, sesame) - If you don’t require this to be school friendly, use a cup of mixed nuts instead of seeds
- 1/4 cup (50g) chia seeds
- 1 cup (240g) soft Medjool dates, pitted
- 1/4 cup (60mL) coconut oil, melted
- 1 tbs cacao powder
- 1 tbs carob powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch Himalayan rock salt
- 1 tbs coconut sugar (optional)
- 30 lollipop sticks
- Homemade Chocolate (see below), in liquid form OR 250g dark chocolate, melted
- 1/2 cup (40g) desiccated coconut (optional)
Place all seeds, included chia seeds into high-speed processor and process until smooth.
Add half the dates and the coconut oil and process again until smooth.
Add remaining dates and process again.
Add the remaining ingredients and process until smooth consistency is reached.
Roll into little balls and place into the freezer for an hour on a lined baking tray.
To make topping, place chocolate in small pot and melt over low heat. Once melted, remove from heat.
Remove bliss balls from the freezer and place each one on top of a lollipop stick. Dip in melted chocolate then roll into desiccated coconut (if using). Place choc pop in glass cup with chocolate end sticking up to let chocolate set before placing on a lined baking tray to go into the freezer. Leave to set in freezer for at least an hour before serving.
Serving and storing leftovers: Remove from freezer at least 10 minutes before serving. Store in the freezer for up to 4 months.